A trash can is the most frequently used household appliance, and it remains a universally useful product especially in the kitchen. The regular trash can is no doubt handy, but nothing beats perfection like a sensor trash can. Call it an automatic trash can, a motion sensor trash can or a touchless trash can, but these models stand out as the most convenient garbage cans for waste disposal.
The cans are fixed with an infrared sensor that automatically opens the lid when debris is put in front of it. These bins are more hygienic and highly efficient, unlike their counterparts. Most of them operate on batteries, but other high-end models can be powered with an AC adapter.
Our list of top 5 best sensor trash cans reviews in 2017 gives you detailed information about the best models from top brands. However, before we delve deeper into their features and specifications, it is important to arm yourself with some buying tips to help you find a good product.
- 5. Ninestars DZT-70-11R Original Motion Sensor Trash Can
- 4. Ninestars DZT-80-4 Original Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can
- 3. EKO 92775-1 Phantom Motion Sensor Touchless Trash Can
- 2. Simplehuman Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can
- 1. iTouchless Deodorizer Sensor Trash Can
- Factors to Consider Before Buying
5. Ninestars DZT-70-11R Original Motion Sensor Trash Can
Ninestars DZT-70-11R is a high-quality model made of stainless steel. It can be used in the kitchen, the cafeteria, restaurant or the office pantry room. Like other Ninestars trash can models, the DZT-70-11R uses the most advanced technology. Its lid will automatically open once the debris is within ten inches from the infrared sensor at a 130-degree angle and close three seconds after the hand moves away.
The original touchless automatic trash bin also comes with a garbage bag ring that keeps the bag entirely hidden from the public eye thus allowing for a neat and clean appearance. It is a dual compartment single can for trash and recycling. The 18.5-gal recycling model, however, requires four D-size batteries which may not be the ideal choice for someone who does not prefer the hassle of constantly replacing batteries.
- Stainless steel fingerprint-resistant model
- Air-tight lid that seals in odor
- Infrared motion sensor that is water-resistant
- Energy saving technology that extends battery life
- Nonskid base
- Open/close buttons for manual operation
4. Ninestars DZT-80-4 Original Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can
This 21-gal stainless steel touchless trash can makes throwing trash easier to give you a clean environment. It is a hands-free model that can be ideal for use in the bathroom and office aside from being kept in the kitchen. It detects motion within 10 inches of the infrared detector and will close automatically after three seconds when the hand is removed away from the sensor. The can is oval and durable enough to serve you for a long time.
It runs on three D-size batteries that can last for six months or more depending on the usage. Because the sensor reads in front’ of the can, the lid will automatically open and close anytime you pass by it. This can be quite a nuisance especially when you place it in frequently-passed areas like the bedroom, bathroom or break room. Besides, it will also reduce the battery life, so you will frequently replace them.
- Seals in odor with the air-tight lid
- Comes with one year warranty
- Energy saving technology that will increase battery life
- Wide opening for more friendly use
- Water resistant motion sensor
- Sleek design that adds a nice touch to your room’s interior décor
3. EKO 92775-1 Phantom Motion Sensor Touchless Trash Can
The EKO 92775-1 is a rectangular sensor can with a generous size of 13 gallons. It is made of stainless steel giving it a highly durable nature thus guarantees long term use. The sensor can maintain hygiene since the lid will open and close automatically without making noise. Aside from the built-in 5-second auto-shut delay, there are open and close buttons for manual operation if you want to keep the lid open for long.
Aside from the sleek design, the trash can has a butterfly lid with a unique opening that makes it even perfect to have around the home. The model’s generous size makes it ideal for a home with a busy kitchen. And while it comes with unique features and elegant design at an affordable rate, most customers will not prefer its battery-powered nature because it means constant replacement of the batteries every time the lid fails to open when they die.
- Measures 24.57 inches high with a width of 14.76 inches and a depth of 9.84 inches
- Soft-close lid with butterfly open
- Large stainless steel design makes it great for busy kitchens
- Open and close buttons for manual operation
- Removable rim plastic bag fixer
- Fingerprint resistant finish for a cleaner look
2. Simplehuman Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can
Simplehuman’s model is an automatic stainless steel trash can with a semi-round design. It has a capacity of 45L and motion sensors that adapt to your environment thus prevent false triggers. The bin comes in five different shades allowing you to choose one that matches your color preference.
It is quieter than other models and occupies little space because of the compact design. What makes this model stand out among other touchless trash cans is the inside liner pocket that will keep liners within reach and readily available when you need them. Aside from the high price tag, this motion sensor trash can by Simplehuman opens automatically when you walk by which can be irritating.
- Planetary gear system for smooth and steady lid operation
- Liner pockets for faster linear change
- Nano-silver clear coat to protect from fingerprints
- Simplehuman Code J liners
- Five-year warranty
1. iTouchless Deodorizer Sensor Trash Can
The iTouchless Deodorizer Sensor Trash Can is a popular model preferred in many modern kitchens. It is a 13-gallon model that uses the latest and most advanced sensor technology. This makes the lid open and closes quickly and accurately. There are numerous benefits of owning this model by iTouchless aside from the hands-free sensor operation.
The upgraded model is equipped with a Carbon filter gate designed to eliminate odors. It is the best option for those who want a cleaner and better-smelling kitchen. Furthermore, the model can also be powered by an AC Adapter along with the 4 D-size batteries. The trash can might be smaller to some people and would not be ideal for a busy kitchen. The product comes with a warranty, but there is a warranty fee for the product in case of replacement.
- Extra-wide opening that can accommodate bulky and large debris
- Easy to clean, finger-proof and antimicrobial stainless steel body
- Unique Reflex quick-open technology for 100% hands-free operation
- Air vents in the base for easy removal of trash bags
- Built –in natural carbon deodorizer
- Energy saving technology that extends battery life
- Lightweight for easy carry
- Efficient design that requires no inner bucket
Factors to Consider Before Buying
If hygiene is top on your preference list, then hopefully our top 5 best sensor trash cans reviews in 2017 will help you choose a model that is highly functional and allow touch-free operation. Aside from being hygienic, they are durable and highly efficient with stylish designs that blend in perfectly with a room’s interior décor.